Thanksgiving is approaching quickly and I know the ideal recipe to make with your local produce! With the harvest products, I made butternut squash soup and an easy potato gratin. These two dishes are definitely perfect for the Fall season! Keep on reading as I am sharing my butternut squash soup recipe and it can be made creamy or vegan!
Here are the ingredients I used for the butternut squash soup (~6 portions):
- 1 Butternut squash
- 2 Yellow onions
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 Box of chicken broth (or vegetable broth) ~900ml
- Pumpkin seeds
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Maple Syrup
- butter (optional)
- Thyme (optional)
- Heavy cream (optional)
- To roast the pumpkin seeds, preheat the oven to 350°. In a bowl, mix the seeds with olive oil, salt, pepper and ground thyme. Spread the mix on an aluminum foil and bake for about 25 minutes or until toasted.
- Peel the butternut squash. Cut it in small pieces along with the onions and chop the garlic.
- Butter the pot and then add the onions in (or use vegetable oil instead for vegan option)
- Once the onions are caramelized, add in the butternut squash, garlic and the chicken broth (or vegetable broth).
- Keep stirring and let it boil until the pieces of squash soften. Then blend it into a puree by using a hand mixer or a blender.
- Season the soup with some salt and pepper. Add ~1 tsp of nutmeg and ~2 tbsp of maple syrup while mixing. Make sure to taste it to adjust the taste to your liking.
- To finish the soup, simply top it with the roasted pumpkin seeds when it’s plated! I also added chopped thyme and a drizzle of cream on top as a garnish and for creaminess.
- Enjoy with your family and friends!
I hope you enjoyed this first shared recipe! I would love to see your version if you are planning to make it for your Thanksgiving dinner or just for a regular meal time. Make sure to tag me (@eonnigiri on social media) so I could check it out! Let me know in the comments below, if you’d like to see more recipes or what you’d like me to share next time! Most importantly Happy Thanksgiving 💕